17 degrees, sunny and 5mph out of the west, TIME TO RIDE. The 3rd annual barry-roupaix is today and its going to be a good one. Join Hometown Bikes own CJ Brish today and become a part of Hometown History. We are also back to our 7am to 7pm everyday hours. So drop you bike off before work and pick it up after, its why were here.
Founders Presents: Barry-Roubaix, The Killer Gravel Road Race. March 26th, 2011
Michigan’s cycling season kicks off the year with the Killer Gravel Road Race – The third annual Barry-Roubaix! The Barry-Roubaix has grown by over 250 percent in two years making it the third largest cycling race in Michigan. The 2011 race will most likely exceed 1000 racers! Like the classic it’s named after, Barry-Roubaix will test riders against rolling gravel roads (80%), pavement, one mile of rough two-track, rocks, sand, mud, and possibly snow and ice, along with 2200 feet of climbing over its 35 mile loop.
- A classic road/off road race featuring a variety of terrain and surfaces to test all your cycling skills. Cyclocross, Mountain, Road, Single-Speeds, Fixies and Tandems are all welcome.
- Road, mountain or cross bikes allowed in any category. Choose from a 23, 35 or 65 mile race distance. No racing license required.
- The course will not be closed to traffic and does not have a rolling escort. Rules of the road apply, stop at all stop signs, yield to cars, no more than 2 riders abreast and do not cross the yellow centerline. Violations will be penalized by disqualification.
Where is Barry-Roubaix?
- Barry County, Middleville, Michigan – Start/finish:Yankee Springs Recreation Area – Gun Lake Unit
- All vehicles entering the Gun Lake Unit will need a Michigan State Park motor vehicle passport
- Who is Barry-Roubaix for? Cyclists and racers of all kinds and performance levels (no license required) that want to start their season with a real challenge and adventure.
- Waves start @ 10:00 a.m.
- Distances are approximate depending on finale course designation made prior to race start and we reserve the right to combine low age category fields
What else can I expect at Barry-Roubaix?
- An awards party with dozens of great prizes to random racers
- What the Truck catering with tacos and burritos for sale
- 10 Kegs of Founders Ale!
- A bonfire on the beach
- $2000 cash awards plus trophies or medals to the top three 65 Mile racers (no age categories). 1st-$500, 2nd-$300, 3rd-$200
- Trophies to the overall winner of the 35 and 23 mile race. Medals to the top three in age categories (age categories depend on the amount of registrations) and raffle prizes to many lucky racers. Podium awards and photos immediately following the completion of each category.
- Silent Raffle prizes before and during the event
- Traditional Raffle at 2:30, must be present to win
- Chronotrack Timing by Race Services Company. Rigid handlebar number plates with timing chips will be used for the best timing available.
- Long Sleeve tee shirts and hoodies available for purchase when registering in advance
- A very limited amount of pint glasses and t-shirts will be available for purchase day of the race